NYSDEC Releases Draft Aquatic Invasive Species Management Plan for Public Comment - Public Comments Accepted Through December 15
“Prevention of aquatic invasive species is critical to the long-term vitality of waterways across New York State,” said DEC Commissioner Joe Martens. “This strategic plan details proposals to further our efforts to help ensure AIS-free waters remain free and additional AIS are not introduced to other waters. We welcome the public’s ideas and feedback on the draft strategy.”
The action-based Strategic Plan updates DEC’s “Nonindigenous Aquatic Species Management Plan,” which was written in 1993. The draft plan includes more than 50 actions designed to address prevention, detection, and response to AIS. Proposed actions include:
- Expand the boat launch steward program statewide;
- Develop an AIS response framework to guide decision making when AIS are detected, and communicate the reasoning for the response selected;
- Implement an AIS public awareness campaign and evaluate its effectiveness in reaching target audiences;
- Expand the use of AIS disposal stations at waterway access sites;
- Establish regional “first responder” AIS teams to incorporate local expertise in planning and implementing appropriate AIS responses; and
- Identify and evaluate risks associated with pathways for AIS introduction and movement within New York.
Click here for the full press release.
A link to the Draft AIS Plan and information on how to submit comments are here http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/99053.html
New web page location:
Visit Capital / Mohawk PRISM web page.
If any PRISM partner have news or events to add to the PRISM web page, please pass them along.
New York State Watercraft Inspection Steward Program Handbook Now Available
New York State Watercraft Inspection Steward Program Handbook Now Available to Start New Programs, Standardize Training
Ithaca/Oswego, NY. October 14, 2014. New York Sea Grant Extension and the Cornell University Cooperative Extension Invasive Species Program have published a New York State Watercraft Inspection Steward Program Handbook. The 81-page, illustrated guide is the standardized model for starting new community or agency-based watercraft inspection programs and includes a Watercraft Inspection Steward Training and Field Guide section.